By 2034, there will be more adults 65 and older than children under the age of 18. Approximately 1 in 4 of older adults experiences a mental health condition, including depression, anxiety, dementia, substance use and more, yet the vast majority of these older adults struggle to get adequate mental health care, resulting in worse medical and mental health outcomes, like suicide.
The Center for Mental Health & Aging is Here to Help
We’re making it easier for older adults and their families to get access to mental health care.
The Center for Mental Health & Aging is your “go-to” place online for the mental health care of older adults and caregivers. We’re making it easier for older adults and their families to get the mental health care they need by connecting them with mental health professionals who specialize with older adults & families.
Learn more about the Center for Mental Health & Aging in this video
Meet the Founder
If you’re here looking for mental health resources for yourself or your older loved one, you’re not alone.
Just like you, my life has been deeply influenced by mental health concerns, both in my family and in myself.
I’ve spent close to 20 years providing mental health care to older adults and their families in some of the most prominent healthcare systems in the US and have come to realize first hand that older adults are often left out of the conversation about mental health care.
I began to wonder…
What will happen to my 71 year old mom who has struggled with mental health concerns throughout her life? If she has a severe depressive episode in older adulthood, will there be people in her community to provide her with effective mental health care? How will she find them?
What will happen to me should I experience depression in my older adulthood? Afterall, I experienced depression in adolescence and postpartum after my children. Will I be able to find mental health professionals should I need them in my third act?
With 67% of older adults with mental health conditions NOT getting the mental health care they need, the odds do not look good for my mom, for me, or for millions of others.
I decided to do something about this by creating the Center for Mental Health & Aging: the go-to place online for the mental health care of older adults. I want every older adult who needs mental health care to get the specialized care and attention they need to live their best life. And, I want family members to have support and peace of mind along the way.
Join me in my mission to reduce suffering in this world by making the world a better place for older adults and their families.
All my love,
Dr. Regina Koepp
“What does it do to a society when we believe that older adults are beyond healing? Beyond repair? That’s not a society I want to live in, so I decided to do something about it.” – Dr. Regina Koepp
Here’s What We Do
- Practical Tools – We don’t guess when it comes to the mental health of older adults. We use up to date research in creating practical guides, tools, and online courses for helping older adults and families navigate mental health needs.
- Link to more than 65 episodes of the Psychology of Aging Podcast
- Link to close to 100 Center for Mental Health & Aging Blog articles
- Link to Expert Guides on common mental health and aging topics
- Link to Tools and Courses to help you care for the older adults in your life
- Access to Professionals – We understand that you may need mental health and brain health specialists to assess changes in your loved one. We make access to professionals simple by offering a directory of mental health professionals with expertise in dementia evaluation and mental health care of older adults.
- Training for Professionals – We provide top-rated, up-to-date, evidence-based mental health training to mental health, senior care, and healthcare professionals. This helps to ensure that there are enough professionals with specialized training available to meet the mental health needs of older adults now and in the future.
- Click here for services and training for professionals
Are you a licensed therapist, psychiatrist, or neuropsychologist who specializes with older adults?
Join me in building the ONLY geriatric mental health provider directory in the nation. For a limited time, you can claim your profile here for FREE with the code: fullaccesspass